My Grandma passed away the day before Valentine's Day. I was actually at Trenton's class party when my mom called me on my cell phone to tell me the news. It was mostly expected, except part of me thought she might just live on forever. Up until recent years, I firmly believed that she was stronger and healthier than I was.
She was 101 years old, and probably could have fought on to live a few more years, if there had been much reason to keep fighting. She was an incredibly hard-working woman, who left behind a posterity that included 101 great grandchildren.
Barry couldn’t get out of work for the funeral, so the kids and I made arrangements to caravan to Southern Utah for the funeral with some of my Arizona cousins. Of 39 (?) grandchildren, all but one of those living were in attendance. In my family, all eight siblings were together for the first time in something like 7 years. Although it took a lot of effort to get our little family there, it was great to be with my family and extended family and celebrate the amazing posterity of my grandma.
My Trenton was the most mournful mourner at the funeral. He was very sad that he wouldn’t get to see Grandma Nielson again on this earth. “I loved Grandma Nielson, I didn’t want her to die.” He said over and over. I took turns with my brothers (thanks, guys!) trying to comfort him and remind him of the power of the resurrection, but when the funeral director asked if anyone needed to say their final goodbye’s before the casket was closed, Trenton was the first to walk up to the casket and take a very serious moment of silence. I’ll never forget the sight of him walking back to me, hands in his pockets and head hung down after he had said good bye to his great grandma for the last time on this earth. He has such a tender heart!
She was 101 years old, and probably could have fought on to live a few more years, if there had been much reason to keep fighting. She was an incredibly hard-working woman, who left behind a posterity that included 101 great grandchildren.
Barry couldn’t get out of work for the funeral, so the kids and I made arrangements to caravan to Southern Utah for the funeral with some of my Arizona cousins. Of 39 (?) grandchildren, all but one of those living were in attendance. In my family, all eight siblings were together for the first time in something like 7 years. Although it took a lot of effort to get our little family there, it was great to be with my family and extended family and celebrate the amazing posterity of my grandma.
My Trenton was the most mournful mourner at the funeral. He was very sad that he wouldn’t get to see Grandma Nielson again on this earth. “I loved Grandma Nielson, I didn’t want her to die.” He said over and over. I took turns with my brothers (thanks, guys!) trying to comfort him and remind him of the power of the resurrection, but when the funeral director asked if anyone needed to say their final goodbye’s before the casket was closed, Trenton was the first to walk up to the casket and take a very serious moment of silence. I’ll never forget the sight of him walking back to me, hands in his pockets and head hung down after he had said good bye to his great grandma for the last time on this earth. He has such a tender heart!
I think it would be ungrateful to complain about 101 years. Grandma lived on her own for most of those years, at least until she was around 95. My only regret...no one ever called Willard Scott.
During the funeral I wrestled a sleep-deprived, Tessa. The grandchildren sang “How Great Thou Art” and I lead the great-grandchildren (who had to remain in the congregation, because there were too many to fit in the choir seats) in “I am a Child of God.”
I took the following pictures at the graveside service, and luncheon. If any of my family wants me to email them photos that are the right size for printing (i.e. 4x6), let me know.

My cousins and brother paying their last respects as pallbearers.

My cousins and brother paying their last respects as pallbearers.
Lovely floral arrangement on the powder blue casket, that I'm sure Grandma completely approved of. Blue was always her favorite color!
My mom, her sisters, and Aunt Ardella looking on.
My dad dedicated the grave.
The Hansen family at the luncheon. I had to include both shots because of cropping and goofy faces. We are in age order if you start with my brother, Deren (next to my dad) then to my sister, Serena (next to my mom) and alternate sides to the ends. Clearly not all of the spouses and children could make it, but it was great to be together with our original family, if just for a short time.

And for fun, I decided to make a few of these pictures black and white for a more timeless feel:



And for fun, I decided to make a few of these pictures black and white for a more timeless feel:








3 comments:
Wow, 101! And what a wonderful posterity, by your fruits ye shall know them, she must have been amazing. Your Mom & Dad make me want to have 8 kids, but then I think I would go completely crazy. I loved all your family photos it is fun to see all of you together.
Sorry to hear about her passing. Sounds like she had a wonderfully fulfilling life!
I love how the one picture I pulled a face in made it onto the blog! :P
Post a Comment