Tuesday, June 12, 2007

HAWAII DIARY- Coming Home


At the airport, we first had to send all of our stuff through agricultural inspections, then we were able to check in. This time they asked if I was pregnant, and since I am, would not allow me to sit in an emergency exit aisle. The lady was pretty strict aout it, but took compassion on Barry’s long legs and gave us a seat in the front row of the plane. Our bags were both a little over the weight limit, so we were glad to have the duffle to toss a few more things in. We then proceeded through security where they didn’t like Barry’s ziploc bags full of sand (geologist!). I thought it was because they couldn’t tell what they were, but really it was because it was so dense that they couldn’t see the rest of the things through it.

We had a bit of time and needed food so opted for the sit-down restaurant for our last meal in Hawaii. Food was pretty good, but we started to get nervous when it took a while to come. When we got to the gate, they were actually pre-boarding. We had just enough time to go to the restrooms and then it was time to get on board. We gate-checked Jared’s guitar (hoping it would get less dinged up that way) and settled in for the long flight.

I had the window seat again, because it really helps calm my nerves. We had a full moon which looked beautiful over the ocean. As we flew I could see some of the other islands of Hawaii. I now know we flew right by the island of Molokai (not a lot of lights), near Maui (some pretty happening places on that island) and in the distance could see the big Island. I love this stuff! After we got further out in the ocean, I tried to sleep. I know I dozed a lot, but I also woke a lot, too. I don’t think I could have slept more than 2 hours total. When we flew over California, there was thick cloud cover below, but I could still see the glow of lights beneath the clouds. It was just getting light as we got in to Phoenix. I think we were a little early this time, too. I called my Dad when the plane touched down and had him come to get us.
(Trenton loves his ukulele)


When we got back to the house, I found both children wide awake and already playing games, even though it wasn’t much after 6:00 am. My mom fixed us a nice breakfast (I needed that!) and then they started loading up to go. As excited as the kids were to see us, I think they were much more sad about their Papa and Lita leaving. We gave my parents some edible gifts from Hawaii, and then they were off, just a few minutes before the carpool came to get Kira to take her to school. She was still bawling about her Papa and Lita as she drove to school.

Barry and I took turns napping (he did go into work for a little bit) and trying to recover little by little that day. We are so glad we took advantage of this opportunity to go and see and do things we might never have experienced otherwise! Now back to the adventures of Parenthood!

No comments: