Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Home Sweet Home?!?



So, it is hard to know at what point to let everyone in on all of this. It would have been more fun last week, when I was elated by making the offer (first day on the market) and having it accepted the very next day. This week, the headaches of scheduling inspections, loan applications, renting our home, etc., etc., etc, are setting in and there is the lingering fear that something will go wrong and take this dream away.


But at this moment, we are set to close on this home on June 25th. It is more than twice the size of our current home, and in pretty amazingly good shape for a foreclosure. It has lots of really nice features, and we will feel so blessed if this all works out!

So on to the important stuff...would you go for black or stainless appliances in the kitchen???

14 comments:

Sherrie said...

Stainless looks so modern, but is hard to keep clean. My sister who is a cleaning expert says that Pledge works wonders, but how often do you really want to clean fingerprints?

Anonymous said...

Kendra, the house is beautiful. Your fears are real and I hope that you get the house. You'll be in my thoughts!
I am a black appliance person, but that is me. I like the clean sharp edge it puts into a kitchen, but stainless also looks great. I think whatever you choose, you won't be sad!

Unknown said...

We are so excited for you! You NEED more room. We are so happy you are able to do this. Good luck with all of the house closing/renting stuff. Stainless for sure is my vote. But do what you want, it is your kitchen.

Marenda

felicia said...

awesome-love that house! i take it you'll be in the same neighborhood? i like stainless! I hope all works out for you:)

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

You left out the most important part: Where is it? It's absolutely beautiful. LOVE that kitchen! The house we lost was a lot like it. I especially like the cooktop with the wall ovens. Nice to have the oven higher and out of curiousity's reach. I'm partial to stainless, but black would definitely look nice...

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! (By the way)

Erin said...

So excited for you guys Kendra! I would do black in the kitchen, you have a black sink, it would look great. Hope it all works out!

Becky said...

My vote is for black.

Jeff and I are both wondering...WHERE are you moving to? If you're not going to be close by then you will be sorely missed...

The house looks great and I hope you find a renter soon!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Thanks everyone!

Although you really aren't too much help since that puts the vote at about a tie. It looks like we are going with the black, since we just found a great deal on craigslist for the wall oven combo and that's about the hardest appliance to find. I'm having a hard time finding counter depth black fridges, though. I'd especially like the more glossy finish (fingerprints, again?). We still have some time, though.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, everyone. Barry and I aren't good with big changes, so we need a lot of it! Inspection was Friday, and there are a few things that need to be repaired, but nothing that should be too expensive or difficult.

For those of you who are wondering where it is, I thought those who are/have been in our ward would recognize it. It is the same floorplan that the Hales, Poulsens, Glazebrooks, etc., have and it is in the same neighborhood. I guess we could be more original, but we LOVE that floorplan...just wait 'till you see the pantry!!! So, Becky, tell Bishop we aren't going anywhere!

Bob and Danya said...

Hey, it's my house! The exact one. I bet you scored an awesome deal on it though. We paid WAY too much when the market peaked. Anyway, we have stainless steel in the kitchen with those exact cabinets and the same granite. Yes, you have to wipe fingerprints. It is a pain, but there is a really cool cleaning mitt that you can buy at linen n' things that cleans it up really fast. If you find a great deal on something though, just get it. I'm sure black would look good in there. We just didn't have a choice when we moved in. We just got the stainless as part of the kitchen package.

p.s. cleaning this house is a monster of a job! Good thing you have a daughter old enough to help out! (can I borrow her to help me too)! LOL!

Congrats!
Danya

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Danya,

You have excellent taste in houses! :-) We have been coveting the home of all of our friends in our ward that have this floorplan, for sometime. We did score a pretty great deal, I think. I went back to your blog and looked at old posts that show your house well. (I think our cabinets are a smidge lighter, but that looks like the same granite.) It is so fun to see you guys living in and enjoying that house, and helps me to visualize our life in a new home. I'm not sure I'm ready to think about the housework, though, yet. I am just hoping that having a home big enough to put everything away, will make it so that we can actually do housework! I'll have to start training Kira, right away!

Bob and Danya said...

You're right, yours may be more of a walnut brown. Ours are more of a cherry I think. Pretty darn close though. Ours look darker then they actually are just because of the wood floor. I will highly covet your floor! After having wood, I wish we had tile. The wood floor dents far too easily and it's so dark that it shows all the kids dusty footprints from outside (super annoying). Of course tile can be a pain too because of the grout (we had that in our last house and I wish that we would have sealed it)! There is one great thing about this house though...the space! There is ALOT! You will never run out of kitchen space again and the pantry....well, you can easily fit a years supply in there. The room under the stairs (otherwise known as the "Harry Potter Room") has been great for us. We use it for storage, shoes and "time out" for the kids - LOL! I'm sure you're going to LOVE it! Our only regret is that we paid too much. If you don't pay too much, then you'll really love it! :)

holley family said...

That looks great! but i think you need to show more pictures!

Anonymous said...

Kendra,

What a fun adventure. I do pray that you will be able to sell/rent your current home.

As for the appliances, the question of stainless is more a question of if you get a clear coated stainless or a pure stainless. Due to the "finger print" concern of consumers, most manufactures a few years back started to clear coat their stainless appliances. I like stainless, but only if the appliances were clear coated. There again, I think that I would do my whole countertop in stainless, but Jen says that is a bit much......

Thayne